Well hey there guys, Happy Wednesday! Today is a special day.
Yep, today we’re switching things up. Instead of my usual What I Ate Wednesday post, I decided to share a recipe for one of my favourite weekend breakfasts – whole wheat waffles :).
I made these waffles last Wednesday as I had a day off from school – it was basically a Saturday. They are so delish my friends. Perfectly crisp on the outside but fluffy on the inside. Not to mention made with whole wheat flour and sweetened with honey. Yum!
Just like my pancakes, I typically top my waffles with fruit (usually bananas/berries), nut butter and some pure maple syrup. If its a special day I’ll even add some a sprinkle of chocolate for a treat. Can you tell I’m a sweet over savoury gal?
Whole Wheat Waffles
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups milk of choice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together honey, egg/whites, milk, oil and applesauce. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid, mixing until almost smooth (disregard any small lumps).
- Heat waffle iron and brush with oil. Pour 1/3-2/3 cup of batter onto the iron and cook until waffle is golden brown.
- Serve immediately with your favourite toppings!
I went to one in Vancouver that served decadent Belgian waffles that basically doubled as dessert for breakfast. I recently read that there’s one opening here in Halifax – I can’t wait to check it out.
Thanks for reading! Wishing you all smooth sailing to the weekend.