Acai bowls are all the rave right now in the health-world. Check any health/fitness bloggers instagram page and they’ve probably posted a photo eating an Acai bowl at some point or another. Well no worries guys, now I have a recipe for you so that you can be on trend, too ;).
Let’s just talk about the Acai berry for a moment here. The Acai berry is a superfood packed with antioxidants – more antioxidants than more common berries like blueberries and strawberries. Acai berries are also full of fiber to keep us full and heart-health promoting fats. Although the research done on Acai berries is limited, this is what we do know so far. Acai is most commonly consumed in tablet, juice or powder form. Personally, I like the powder and I buy it from my local health-food store.
Acai smoothie bowls are so much fun because not only is the colour produced by the Acai added so gorgeous, but they’re also fun because we get to get creative with toppings like seeds and fruit! Almost like a fruity, super nutritious sundae – that you can eat for breakfast! Sounds pretty sweet to me.
Now that you’ve gotten a little introduction about Acai Berries and Acai Bowls, let’s get to the recipe.
Acai Smoothie Bowl:
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp Acai powder
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 1/4 cup 100% orange juice
- Optional toppings: shredded coconut, chia/hemp/flax seeds, more fruit, goji berries, granola, nut butter, cacao nibs – whatever you like!
- Blend all ingredients in a blender!
- Pour into a bowl and add toppings. Easy peasy!