This recipe kind of happened as a fluke, as many of my recipes do.
A few days ago, I wasn’t having the greatest morning and what better way is there to cheer up then spend some time with your mom? It was a family holiday so the entire family had the day off of work and school so we were all just kickin’ around the house. Mom mentioned making some muffins, and who am I to pass on baking?
Growing up, there was really only one muffin recipe my mom would make. Banana Chip Muffins from the Company’s Coming: Muffins & More cookbook. The same cookbook that I adapted my Chocolate Chip Pancake recipe from. To be honest I don’t blame her for sticking to this recipe – the muffins are SO GOOD. But I’m really trying my best to steer clear of refined grains and sugars (especially after a little too much sugar on Valentine’s). Can you say home made chocolates and Nutella French toast?
So I suggested giving some more healthful substitutions a try.
Now my mom eats very healthfully and she strongly believes in treating yourself in moderation (which I do agree with also), so sometimes she can be stubborn when it comes to less refined, more natural substitutions as in her words: “A little sugar or butter won’t hurt!” (to which I do not disagree as well). Although, I rather frequently like to enjoy my sweet treats and snacks therefore I prefer to keep them as nutritious and unrefined as possible.
Well, this is what we came up with:
Banana Chip Muffins:
- 1 cup plus 1 1/2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- Measure first four dry ingredients into a large bowl. Mix and create a well in the centre.
- Beat egg and mix in oil, milk and bananas. Pour into the well in the dry ingredients. Stir to moisten the batter, but do not over mix. The batter should be lumpy.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes. Yields 12 muffins.
These muffins turned out perfectly. Bella couldn’t keep her eyes off them!
Golden-brown, sweet, fluffy and moist.. they were the perfect treat to pick me up on a lousy day. The quality time with my mama helped too..thanks mom 😉
Question: What’s your fave homemade baked good?! Let me know in the comments!