I seriously think my favourite winter treat may just be hot chocolate. On a cold day, when you just want to curl up inside with a book, your dog or your significant other and some Netflix – what pairs better than a steaming mug of creamy, sweet cocoa? Nothing.
I have a confession: I occasionally enjoy the packaged hot chocolate mixed with hot water. In fact, I received a tin of Second Cup White Hot Chocolate from Santa in my stocking at Christmas (YUM!), but because I love it so much, and would prefer to enjoy it more frequently, I decided to create a more natural, low-sugar hot chocolate that is, if I do say so myself, equally as satisfying.
Let’s be real here, the packaged hot chocolate is more or less just a package of sugar and processed ingredients. And hello – it’s 2015, we all know by now that the less sugar, the better!
This recipe is just about as quick and easy to make as it is to pour a packet of hot cocoa mix into a mug and mix it with milk or water, so don’t you sweat it. Now you can enjoy your hot cocoa frequently, nutritiously and of course deliciously.
Healthy Hot Cocoa (serves 1):
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp raw unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted to remove clumps
- 1/8 tsp stevia*
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
*the Stevia I use (Herbal Select Certified Organic Powdered Stevia Extract) is extremely sweet and only requires a very small amount in recipes. If you’re using packets, I would suggest using 1 packet and if you’re using stevia that measures like sugar I would suggest about 1 tsp.
- Warm milk in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Once milk has heated up, add sifted cocoa powder and whisk until well mixed
- Add vanilla, stevia and chocolate chips while stirring
- Optional: Top with light whipped cream or 1 tbsp of mini marshmallows if not vegan. If vegan, top with coconut whipped cream
- Grab a good book, a cozy blanket and enjoy 🙂
I hope 2015 is treating you well so far!