Pancakes. One of my absolute favourite foods.
Warm, fluffy, sweet, golden-brown…I get hungry just thinking about them. The great thing about pancakes is that they can so easily be made healthy and still be totally delicious.
I’ve made various stacks of healthified pancakes in the past..whole wheat pancakes, protein pancakes, oatmeal pancakes..which I’m sure I will be sharing with you all as I progress on this food-blogging journey of mine.
This batch of pancakes are nutritious, clean, packed with protein as well as sweet, summery and quite frankly just peachy. That’s right. Peaches in ma pancakes.
I had a request to incorporate some sort of seasonal summer fruit in my next recipe post. Well peaches are a perfect summer option and I just love how sweet and succulent they are when ripe so I had no trouble choosing them as the focal point of this recipe.
Fun fact about these pancakes? They’re also made with cottage cheese.
Don’t like cottage cheese? Don’t worry.
You can’t even tell that it’s in there. Cottage cheese so nutritious as it is loaded with protein and calcium and low in fat. Using cottage cheese in recipes (baked goods, smoothies, pancakes) is a great way to up the protein content and I promise, you won’t even know it’s there.
Cottage Cheese & Peach Pancakes:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp organic coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8 egg whites (1 cup egg whites)
- 1 cup low fat/nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 ripe peaches
- In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients (first 6 ingredients) & stir together until mixed.
- In a medium bowl, add egg whites, cottage cheese, yogurt and almond milk. Mix together and then add diced peaches. You can save some of the peaches for topping if you desire.
- Make a small well in the middle of the dry ingredients, pour wet ingredient/peach mixture in to the well. Mix together just until you get a wet, mixed batter. Try not to overmix!
- Turn stove on to medium-high heat. Spray a frying pan with non-stick cooking spray/olive oil spray.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto frying pan. Flip when bubbles begin to form in the batter. Pancakes should be golden-brown on either side. Top with whatever you please. Makes 14 small pancakes.
Recommended toppings for these pancakes include:
- Greek yogurt
- Maple Syrup
Your morning will be so much better with these pancakes. I know mine was!
Have a delicious day!