Happy Canada Day!!!
It’s a day off today for most Canadians to celebrate the 147th birthday of our country. I spent the day hanging out by the pool (and in it – it was a hot one) with friends enjoying our day free of work and school obligations. It was too fun! Did you do anything fun or exciting for Canada day? Or for anyone reading in the U.S. – any plans for the 4th of July long weekend? Let me know in the comments!
Now for the good stuff. I’ve got a recipe for you! Last Friday evening after a long week I was in the baking mood. Surprisingly, I didn’t want to bake cookies. I wanted to try a new muffin or loaf recipe. I’ve only ever made variations of banana loaf and life is no fun if you’re always doing the same old thang am I right?! We had a ton of dried cranberries in the pantry and I had a craving to bake with coconut so why not Coconut Cranberry Loaf? Oh, and chuck some almonds in there for an extra crunch (not to mention protein, mono-unsaturated fats, dietary fiber, B-vitamins, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc….you get it).
This loaf is sweet, tangy, moist..wonderful! A lovely, healthy snack! Just make sure it bakes all the way through before you remove it from the oven as the greek yogurt and applesauce make it very moist.
Coconut Cranberry Almond Loaf:
- 1 & 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup whole grain oatmeal (GF oats if you’re really worried about gluten contamination)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries + more for topping
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut + more for topping
- 1/2 tsp stevia
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 egg whites, whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup dilute orange juice (I filled up half of the measuring cup with OJ and the other half with water)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients (first 9 ingredients) together. Mix together.
- In a smaller bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, vanilla, applesauce, coconut oil, greek yogurt and orange juice.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until everything is just mixed. Be careful not to over mix!
- Pour batter into loaf pan, top with cranberries and coconut. Bake 25-30 minutes until loaf is lightly browned and a cake tester comes out clean. Let loaf cool before cutting!
If it’s a hot where you live and you don’t have air conditioning, I recommend storing the loaf cut up in your freezer. It’ll keep much longer. Enjoy!
Have a lovely rest of your short week!
Bye for now,